Pawpaw Brown, ole Jim, was known for his sausage, hams and bacon. He raised the corn that fed the hogs that produced fabulous products folks from all over came to buy. No doubt, if he were here today, we would be enjoying a slice, or two, of Bourbon Candied Bacon while chasing it with sip of our Effie Jewel Bourbon…..’cause Effie was his little Sister.
- 1 lb Thick Center-Cut Bacon. * See Notes Below
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 tbs Raw Local Honey
- 1/3 cup Bourbon – preferably our Effie Jewel.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Individually arrange the slices of bacon on cookie sheet. Place in the preheated oven and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes depending on how thick the slices are. The bacon should be crispy but not overdone. (*See notes below)
- Transfer the cooked bacon strips to plates lined with paper towels for draining the grease.
- Add foil or parchment paper to a cookie sheet and arrange the bacon strips in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bacon.
- Whisk together the honey and bourbon. Drizzle the bourbon mixture from a spoon over the bacon covered with brown sugar.
- Bake in the 425°F oven for about 8 minutes, or until the sugar, bourbon and honey has created a syrup. Crack the oven door slightly while cooking these bacon strips.
- Carefully remove the pans from the oven and transfer each strip of bacon onto a wire rack that has parchment paper under it. Let cool, if you can. If not, burn yourself enjoying this decadent treat.
* I cheated and used the Costco – Kirkland brand of pre-cooked bacon. Thick Sliced. (Thick Sliced y’all). Now listen, even though it’s ‘pre-cooked’ you still have to cook it until crispy. Don’t make sense to me either but this pre-cooked holds us so well and is easy to work with for this amazing bacon. If you use ‘raw’ bacon, the cooking time will not be the same. Cook the raw bacon until done and crispy. Use either a bacon press or cook in over so bacon will lay flat.